Bulldogs Hang On To 4-3 Win Over UIC

Bulldogs Hang On To 4-3 Win Over UIC

Oct. 3, 2004

Box Score

Visiting UIC failed to score on two point-blank shots in the final 0:05 of the game and Butler held on to post its seventh consecutive win with a 4-3 decision over the Flames in a Horizon League match at Varsity Field on Sunday, Oct. 3. The victory lift the Bulldogs to 8-3 on the season and 3-0 in league action, while UIC fell to 2-8-1 on the year and 1-2-1 in league play.

UIC's Pawel Otachel fired a shot at the Butler goal with 0:05 left in the match, but his attempt hit the far post. As it rebounded off the post, Eric Cervantes attempted a point-blank header that Butler goalkeeper Frank Peabody deflected as time ran out. The two attempts closed out a second half that saw 24 shots and six goals!

"Our defense coming into this match had been outstanding," said Butler coach Joe Sochacki after the contest. "But it wasn't there in the second half today. Still we were able to get the win, we stayed unbeaten in conference and we kept the winning streak alive."

The seven straight wins matches the longest win streak of Sochacki's coaching tenure and stands two shy of the Butler school record, set in 1998.

Butler took a 1-0 lead in the first half on a goal by senior Andrew Pancio with 31:35 gone. Pancio took a cross from teammate Tim Blake and launched a shot from 12 yards out into the upper right corner of the net. It was his second goal this season, and it gave the Bulldogs a 1-0 halftime advantage.

The second half was a different story. Butler took a 2-0 lead on a header by junior Scott Olsen off a cross from sophomore Aaron Thompson at 49:16, but UIC cut the margin back to one four minutes later when Pavle Dundjer took a corner kick from Otachel and slipped a short shot past Peabody. It was Olsen's seventh goal and Dundjer's second

Butler countered three minutes after Dundjer's goal when senior Cory Edgington blasted a shot past UIC goalkeeper Jeff Engelbrecht from five yards out. Junior Roberto Gallo started the play with a pass to Olsen, who served the ball to Edgington in the box. The two-goal lead lasted less than four minutes, before Cervantes went one-on-one with Peabody and fired a shot from 15 yards out into the back of the net.

The two teams closed out the scoring in less than 50 seconds with just over eight minutes remaining. Senior David Wyrick gave Butler a 4-2 lead with a shot into the right corner of the net from 15 yards out at 81:26. Gallo, who transferred to Butler from UIC, picked up his second assist of the match on the play. UIC answered at 82:09 on a header by Derek Kosek off a corner kick by Otachel.

Both teams had 12 shots in the final 45 minutes. Pancio paced the Bulldogs for the game with six shots, including two shots on goal, while Edgington added five shots and two shots on goal. Cervantes topped the Flames with three shots. Engelbrecht had three saves and Peabody finished with two.

The Bulldogs will step out of league play on Thursday, Oct. 7, with a match against Evansville. The contest will be played at 7 p.m. (EST) at Kuntz Stadium in Indianapolis.